.com | 9:50 am – August 30, 2021
US President Joe Biden has been informed of the rocket attack at Kabul airport and evacuations are continuing “without interruption,” his White House spokesman Jen Psaki said on Monday.
“The president has been informed that operations are continuing without interruption” and “he reconfirmed to the commanders the order to redouble their efforts in order to do as a priority all that is necessary to protect our forces on the ground,” he said. -she adds.
Earlier in the day, rocket fire had been highlighted, without the location or the targets being identified.
No more than 300 Americans remain to be evacuated from the country, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Sunday. “We are working tirelessly these hours and days to get them out of there,” he said on ABC, 48 hours before the US withdrawal deadline.
About 114,400 people including nearly 5,500 American citizens have been evacuated from Afghanistan by a gigantic airlift since August 14, on the eve of the capture of Kabul by the Taliban.
The last phase of the evacuation operations was weighed down by the attack on Thursday near the airport of the Afghan capital, claimed by the Islamic State in Khorasan (EI-K), which killed around 100 people, including 13 American soldiers and two British.